Sunday 6 March 2011

March 1, 2011

Profound realizations can materialize during the most mundane moments.  A few months ago I was spending a Saturday driving around doing errands.  Most of the errands were not for me but for my elderly parents and there was a growing resentment inside that my already short weekends were getting shorter as a direct result of these errands.  Between dashes in and out of the car I was listening to Stuart McLean’s Vinyl Café radio show.  I think Stuart is one of the best storytellers around and he has the gift to make me laugh about and contemplate human nature.  On this particular morning he started talking about his father and some of his father’s habits and naturally that started me thinking about my parents.  I continued listening and suddenly felt like I had been slapped in the face.  Stuart nonchalantly threw in the remark that growing old isn’t for cowards.  Oh my god, when truth hits it hits hard.

An abrupt reality check occurred at that moment and my gripes started to seem very petty.  After all, I still have my independence and the ability “to do” for others.  My parents are dealing with the loss of independence along with many others losses.  Inevitable as these losses are they require strength and grace to accept, something which is innate to some and a struggle for others.

Insight is a wonderful gift, thank you for sharing Stuart.

No comments: